Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Welcoming your input

Hi everyone -

As many of you know I recently accepted a position with 2nd Road, a consulting company in Sydney, Australia. 2nd Road combines conversation and design to help clients create strategies as well as to help executives in these organizations ask the right questions and access the right type of reports to facilitate strategic decision-making.

I joined 2nd Road because of my combined education in design and business, and my experience working for a large multinational corporation. Part of my role at 2nd Road is to help business-minded individuals realize the value of design beyond the cosmetic or aesthetic value that has been traditionally attributed to most design disciplines. Think about it as "design thinking" or a design-oriented approach to strategy. On the flip side, I also believe that designers need to understand the basics of business decision-making and protocols to earn our seat at the strategic table.

In hope to continue this dual educational goal, I thought about reaching out to those of you who are either designers trying to answer this question or non-designers who already realize the value of design. Through this process I eventually hope to gather enough stories and frameworks to write an essay that can be published or presented at conferences.

To begin this journey I will post the first question:
What lessons should management schools borrow from the design field as part of their curricula?

No comments: